måndag 17 augusti 2009

Monday 17/8
I began working at 15.30 today as well, doing the night shift and I was thrown straight into work! We were catching birds in a pool to get them blood tested and to clean the pool. It's always funny to hold the birds, gives you a little credit of why you're there! Then I switched to the holding area making mash and electrolydes, washing stuff, desinfectioning stuff such as tubes and pipes. There's not really intense work in the evening but it's important as well. I got picked up by my boyfriends mother and she payed for the food. Again. So yeah, I can see it as a donation for my organisation ^_^

I also managed to swoop a can of shrimps that I put blood, sweat and tears in to get loose from a shack of ice on to the floor. YAY. Not useable. I hate myself sometimes ;) But shit happens, it was not the end of the world really.


Sunday 16/8

Today I started working later in the afternoon, more accurately at 15.00. We had a internal meeting first at 13.00 and then I began cleaning tents. Again. And carrying boxes. Again. But I do it gladly since everything I do is for the birds =). After that we made mash (pellets, water, vitamins and electrolydes) and electrolydes in tubes to give the birdies. They're all doing very well and gaining weight. They're water resistant so they will be released on wednesday or thursday!
We also made a new desicion on the seals since there are 15-20 seals that have oil in their fur. The thing is with seals, they are in a fur-exchange-period now so hopefully they'll change the oily fur into new fur and they also manage to get the oil off much better than birds do. So we'll leave them alone =). There was not much else to do, a guy hit on me while bringing in a dead bird... Sexey. Or not. Luckily I have this amazing loving boyfriend, I don't need more!

Saturday 15/8

I had a day off. :)

Friday 14/8
Began working at 8 o'clock in the morning (as usual) by washing out all the tents in the holding area, also known as the dirty area. You do that by first rubbing all of the floors with soap and then get all the foam off the floors by crawling on your knees and then but anti-bacterial on the floors and again crawl on your knees to put it over the whole floors. It's alot of carrying with the cages back and forth but they need to be washed and cleaned as well. We don't want a new version of the bird-flu here ;D. After that we did a few smaller duties such as cleaning, folding towels, making food for the birdies, cleaning the food station and so on. Last, me and another girl built a pool for the birdies and I tell ya! My kids are NEVER having one of those pools. That was messed up work. Phew. Makes it look easy, but once you get your hands on it not even Einstein would be able to..

I read in the local newspaper that Langesund got critisism from swedish "experts" on birdwashing.
They were pissed out on 4 things.
1. They didn't all get to wash birds.
2. They were put to do the "shitwork".
3. They couldn't do things their way.
4. We use to high pressure in the shower on the birds.

I got so mad! If you have only experts on this type of things they all need to help out on all different stations to get the organisations rolling. By that I mean everything from making coffee for volounteers to cleaning the storage, cutting fish, wash stuff and so on. The birdwashing process is only 3-4% of the whole process. If you calculate on it, you need one hour to wash a bird. But you need 2 whole weeks to make sure that the bird is well enough to be released, that makes 13 days and 23 hours of other stuff with each bird. You need people to do all the things that are done the other 13 days and 23 hours. Fuckers.
Second of all, if you have experts on all stations you're assured that every station is doing the right thing instead of having amateurs on 19/20 stations and have ALL of the experts on ONE station...
Third, if there's ten organisations working together in a way that works out for everyone you can't come as one organisation and do everything your way in the middle of a war. You have to either suggest that before the chaos breaks out or after, when we do the summary of this action.. Sigh.
Last, the high pressure is good out of two reasons. First of all, the person rinsing the bird is more sure the foam is all out of the feathers making sure that it's waterresistant and that the birds produce their own fat again. Second of all it's a much faster method to do it. Otherwise you have to handle the bird over an hour on only the rinsing which is very evil both to the poor bird who is very scared and confused and to your own back.

Inga kommentarer:

Skicka en kommentar